Apart from being an essential accessory, Sunglasses have become an inseparable part of our daily lives. The small yet mighty accessory has a rich trivia that makes it even more interesting. Here are 10 fun facts about sunglasses to brighten your day:
- The first ever sunglasses were designed by the Chinese people in 12th century to shield eyes against the sun and also to hide people's facial expressions in the courtroom.
- People often debate whether the eyebrows should be visible or not while wearing shades. While some may claim that showing eyebrows is a crime, others argue that it is purely based on one's face shape.
- Cheap sunglasses may be partially successful at protecting eyes from the glare of the sun but poor quality lenses can impair vision. Good quality sunglasses combine multiple technologies like UV protection and polarization to enhance vision and protect eyes.
- The Italian company Luxottica manufactures 75% of the world's designer sunglasses. They own brands like Burberry, Chanel, Ralph Lauren, Ray-ban and Oakley.
- In 2015, every 90 seconds a male sunglasses was purchased on E bay.
- The British Singer Elton Jones is said to be the owner of the largest sunglasses collection in the world. His love for quirky sunglasses also inspired the 1998 play titled 'Elton Jones' sunglasses'.
- Polished emeralds were worn and used as sunglasses by Emperor Nero of the Roman Empire while watching Gladiator fights.
- Elvis Presley’s famous Madison Square Garden Sunglasses were the most expensive pair of sunglasses sold on Ebay. They were sold for $250,000.
- Every 14 minutes a person loses, breaks or sits on a pair of sunglasses.
- Most characters from the movie "The Matrix" sported sunglasses in the movie. Interestingly, all of the protagonists are seen wearing rounded lenses, while the antagonists sport rectangular lenses.
Hope these random facts make your day a little quirky. If they don't do the trick, you can shop for the latest designer sunglasses at Eyewearlabs.